Skip to main content

gluten free brownies

It’s January. It’s cold. Comfort foods rule. And we’re on the way to February—still cold—and the first of the chocolate holidays… Perfect time for a tray of brownies.

Gluten free chocolate brownie: topped with dark chocolate ganache fondant icing and dried sour cherries, dusted with icing sugar.
Served on a wood-fired stoneware platter. Christine Pedersen. 2016.

A gluten free friend sent me this brownie recipe back in 2002—and I still have the original email I printed off. The paper looks a bit brown now - not from age - just the accumulated smudges of brownie batter and fondant icing from hundreds of bakings… For I am “She Who Brings The GF Brownies” to neighbourhood functions, a deliverer of dessert to those prowling the buffet table in the hope of a dietarily-appropriate chocolate fix. But, if asked, other guests do not seem to care that the recipe also happens to be gluten free, they’re just scarfing down really good brownies before they all get eaten.

All this makes me ponder the potentially unanswerable: is there such a thing as the “perfect” brownie? Maybe. But perfect for me and perfect for you might be different solutions to the same problem: I found that this recipe is so good for me that I have never sought another.

My friend adapted the recipe in one key way as she wrote it out for me: fondant was originally described as “optional”, to which we both said “Yeah, right!”. I have added my own fondant recipe (thanks mum, again!) because I like it to be seriously chocolatey, and because I like a LOT of fondant.

I wish you good eating, and may this recipe aid in the quest for your perfect brownie.

Please read on for the brownie recipe.



Brownie ingredients 
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa
2 large eggs

1/8 tsp salt
1 cup sugar (any kind of granulated sugar, white or brown)
3/4 cup gluten-free flour 


Flour: brown rice flour works fine on its own. Or 1/4c rice flour plus e.g. 1/2c Bob's Red Mill All Purpose baking flour mix. Rice flour is coarser compared to some of the other GF flours, and helps the brownie not stick to the tray. I sometimes substitute a couple of tablespoons of milled flax for an equal amount of flour.

Directions
1. Grease an 8" square glass brownie tray.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350C/180F.
3. Melt butter and cocoa in a pan over a very low heat, stir gently until mixed, take off heat.


4. Whisk eggs and salt, in a medium sized bowl, until frothy.


5. Add butter/cocoa mix, sugar, and flour to eggs - fold all ingredients together quickly. 




6. Transfer to the greased tray and bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until the brownie batter pulls away from the sides.


For those brave enough to even think of it: yes you can double the recipe and successfully bake it in the same 8" square tray. It makes a seriously deep gooey brownie.

I often make the brownie the day before and seal it in a container to rest (go gooey). Allow the brownie to mostly cool before frosting, a bit of warmth will help the fondant flow.

Dependent on the occasion, I will put the fondant on the brownie whilst still in the baking tray. Alternatively, I cut the brownie into squares and push them tightly together on a serving plate, before spreading slightly warm frosting over all the pieces (as in the first picture of the brownie on one of my stoneware platters).

Fondant Ingredients
2 tbsp water (or whipping cream for a ganache-like experience)
2 ozs butter (approximately 1/4 inch slice from a 1lb block)
6 heaped dstsp icing sugar
3 heaped dstsp cocoa

Directions
1. Melt butter with water or cream on a very low heat.
2. Sieve icing sugar with cocoa, add to butter/liquid and beat until smooth. Add more liquid if necessary to make a smooth, not too runny, fondant. 

3. Spread the still-warm fondant over the brownie before it cools. The warmer the fondant is when you ice the brownie, the more it will flow.
4. Serve with dried tart cherries, sliced banana, strawberries... So many things go well with brownies.

Even without frosting these brownies, it will still be a good day. Hope you enjoy.

Plain GF brownies, served on a "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow" porcelain tea plate. Christine Pedersen. 2016.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

narrative jewellery: tales from the toolbox book launch

For every piece of jewellery I make there is a story. It can be simple, just a note on the “why?” that led to the forms and textures, or the feeling that I want to remember. Sometimes the single idea that could become a piece, conceived way before the act of making, can become so over-whelming that I need to write a whole new reality for the jewellery to exist within. That’s how it was for “Pull”, the first piece of jewellery in a body of work that became the ReFind Collection *. It caused me to look at materials in my home, especially the things that were routinely thrown away, very differently. It was like waking up to realize I just hadn’t been paying the right kind of attention to all the “stuff” in other areas of my life; realizing that maybe jewellery could be linked to something as obscure as industrial-scale food-processing and packaging—if I allowed my mind to receive the information, differently. I am very honoured that my necklace has been included in Mark Fenn’s new

my brand: I am a nerd

His & Hers Nerd Pendants. Sterling silver. 2011. There is no point in denying it: I am a nerd. I designed these pendants for the "Branded" exhibition at the fabulous Influx Gallery in Calgary this summer. I like to bring my background in science and natural history into my art work, and in this case, I also brought some political advocacy. In an era in which some cultures still deny females equal access to education, I used the loaded motif of the apple to create a context to present the writing to the viewer. Here's the full artist statement: His and her “ nerd ” pendants confidently declare affiliation with a tribe that delights in knowledge, education and technology. Nerdism nourishes the world around us, and we are proud of that contribution. His “ nerd ” pendant is about strength in identity. Styled after a traditional branding iron, the pendant is a rugged and substantial piece of silver, designed to perpetuate this important meme beyond one life

Beaux Arts sculptural metal exhibition now open at Il Centro Art Gallery, Vancouver.

The Beaux Arts exhibition, curated by Angela Clarke at Il Centro Art Gallery, Vancouver, was developed with the Vancouver Metal Arts Association . The work of nineteen artists is included, and I am very honoured to be one of them. Huge thanks and kudos to the volunteer members of VMAA who have managed to organize and install a professional show under the current incredibly difficult conditions. To quote from Il Centro’s web-site : As the first exhibition in our Charles Marega 150 celebrations series Il Museo at Il Centro presents Beaux Arts: An Exhibition with the Vancouver Metal Arts Association. This exhibition features the sculptural metal art form both large and small. Entitled Beaux Arts in honour of the artist style of which Charles Marega was an interpreter, this juried show integrates traditional metal work with non-traditional styles and elements, true to the Beaux Arts form. Throughout the exhibition space there is a continuous juxtaposition of traditional and non- traditiona