Skip to main content

twenty: a love story

“Twenty” was a complex piece to make real; it started by sharing in a dream… What is the client imagining? What can they see and feel?

And there it was in my hands, the finished piece: thick, lush, textured, a golden and hefty gem-set brass carabiner, with my thumb flicking that addictive gate-wire! The imagined carabiner had a haptic, emotional identity before material, or sketching. It came to life through our massively powerful human ability to transmit the idea of The Thing between us. Everyone’s a maker when they choose to spend a moment visualizing the thing made, finished, right there in front of them. It’s a delicious first step. And it sends the real-world maker off to find the right tools…

And there’s the rub: the idea of the thing isn’t enough to make it real, because there’s still all the mess and details and skill of the making. That’s where the maker or artist chooses to fall into building the dream.




This is the "making of" video for a commission celebrating a 20th wedding anniversary. My client proposed a decorative working carabiner, set with gems honouring the birthdays of his five family members (from left to right: emerald, fire citrine, peridot, Canadian diamond, aquamarine).

Keep reading for more on process and music…
The carved and chased imagery of the canoe, mountains, waves and climbing rope wrapped around the form create a never-ending adventure: from the river, up through the forest and camping in the mountains, to the glacial traverse where the family are roped together, helping each other on the journey.

As the project developed and we talked about how to display the carabiner, my client selected to have me sculpt a clay plinth. This had just become my dream commission: I would be able to unite my favourite media:) The form of the plinth and the smooth white porcelain continue the look and theme of the imagery on the carabiner, with ripples under the boat, and wind-swept glacial cornices.

With heart-felt thanks to my client and his family for a wonderful artistic opportunity, and very best wishes for a lifetime of adventures together!

Thanks also to my mentor Jeff de Boer, instigator of LEXM.

A word about music:
The music to the video is "Circling" by the excellent Fourtet, from their album "There Is Love In You".  Available on itunes.

I love music, I listen to it a lot. And I buy a lot of music - including the album that the piece used with the video came from, that’s how I knew the song. Musicians need to be paid for their work, just like all artists. Exposure hopefully makes more sales—but it’s a hope, there’s no predictability or guarantee—so exposure always has to be part of an equitable bargain or sharing process, because none of us can buy food or pay mortgages with exposure.

The publisher of Fourtet’s music allow it to be used with the caveat that viewers may need to see some advertising at the start of my video. That’s the payment for the music. I wish there were other options to allow music licensing, because I dislike random (or even worse heavily sponsored and utterly uninteresting) push marketing as much as anyone else. It’s not a perfect system, but at least I was permitted to use some music I really enjoy.



Technical notes: 
I am working on a magazine “how to” article for this piece. Fingers crossed I get to publish it, and I will continue to post more details here. I hope you have enjoyed this, and please feel free to email questions or post a comment :)

Read a thought-provoking article in The Guardian, all about material culture and making, and the impacts that it has on us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

narrative jewellery: tales from the toolbox book launch

For every piece of jewellery I make there is a story. It can be simple, just a note on the “why?” that led to the forms and textures, or the feeling that I want to remember. Sometimes the single idea that could become a piece, conceived way before the act of making, can become so over-whelming that I need to write a whole new reality for the jewellery to exist within. That’s how it was for “Pull”, the first piece of jewellery in a body of work that became the ReFind Collection *. It caused me to look at materials in my home, especially the things that were routinely thrown away, very differently. It was like waking up to realize I just hadn’t been paying the right kind of attention to all the “stuff” in other areas of my life; realizing that maybe jewellery could be linked to something as obscure as industrial-scale food-processing and packaging—if I allowed my mind to receive the information, differently. I am very honoured that my necklace has been included in Mark Fenn’s new

my brand: I am a nerd

His & Hers Nerd Pendants. Sterling silver. 2011. There is no point in denying it: I am a nerd. I designed these pendants for the "Branded" exhibition at the fabulous Influx Gallery in Calgary this summer. I like to bring my background in science and natural history into my art work, and in this case, I also brought some political advocacy. In an era in which some cultures still deny females equal access to education, I used the loaded motif of the apple to create a context to present the writing to the viewer. Here's the full artist statement: His and her “ nerd ” pendants confidently declare affiliation with a tribe that delights in knowledge, education and technology. Nerdism nourishes the world around us, and we are proud of that contribution. His “ nerd ” pendant is about strength in identity. Styled after a traditional branding iron, the pendant is a rugged and substantial piece of silver, designed to perpetuate this important meme beyond one life

Beaux Arts sculptural metal exhibition now open at Il Centro Art Gallery, Vancouver.

The Beaux Arts exhibition, curated by Angela Clarke at Il Centro Art Gallery, Vancouver, was developed with the Vancouver Metal Arts Association . The work of nineteen artists is included, and I am very honoured to be one of them. Huge thanks and kudos to the volunteer members of VMAA who have managed to organize and install a professional show under the current incredibly difficult conditions. To quote from Il Centro’s web-site : As the first exhibition in our Charles Marega 150 celebrations series Il Museo at Il Centro presents Beaux Arts: An Exhibition with the Vancouver Metal Arts Association. This exhibition features the sculptural metal art form both large and small. Entitled Beaux Arts in honour of the artist style of which Charles Marega was an interpreter, this juried show integrates traditional metal work with non-traditional styles and elements, true to the Beaux Arts form. Throughout the exhibition space there is a continuous juxtaposition of traditional and non- traditiona